If you want to dive a little deeper into my writing world, you can check out some of my publications below. Some are related to travel, and I’ve also included a few interviews on the list. But while I love writing about my experiences abroad, my big passion is long and short-form fiction. I have a B.A. in history and creative writing from the University of Alberta (2011) and an M.F.A. in creative writing from the University of British Columbia (2016).
- “Art and the 140-character Attention Span”, Adore Chroma – Fine Art Photography Magazine, July 2014.
- “What makes art?: Finger Painting to Fine-Art Photography”, Adore Noir – Fine Art Black-and-white Photography Magazine, Issue 20, June 2014.
- “Makeup, Heels, and Mountain Hiking: the High-Maintenance Backpacker” Luna Luna Mag
- “Een draai aan KLM’s rad van fortuin!” KLM Blog
- “Seeing is Believing?: The Impact of Photography on Collective Memory.” Adore Chroma – Fine Art Photography Magazine, May 2014.
- I Am Expat – Various news and lifestyle articles on Iamexpat.nl, 2014.
- “Tips for Taking South American Taxis.” Travel and Escape, April 2014.
- “Unusual Cemeteries of South America.” Travel and Escape, April 2014.
- “I Risked my Life on a Bolivian Bus to Save $60” The Globe and Mail, March 2014.
- “Colombian New Year in Black and White” The Vancouver Sun, December 2013.
- DIY Safari in South Africa—and our too Close Encounter The Globe and Mail, October 2013.
- Man, Animal, Nature: Safety Concerns in Southern Africa Eye and Pen
- On the Ritual and Romance of Mate Matador Network
- Opening Eyes to the World in Kingston, Jamaica Travel Origins Magazine.
- Photo Essay: “The Faces of South America’s Future” Traveling Canucks – Guest Post.
- Seven Secrets for Surviving a Dutch Night Out Weekend Student Adventures (WSAEurope.com)
- ¿Cachai, güey?”: Unravelling Latin American Spanish Latincouver.com
- The Devil’s Dance: Breaking Into the Salsa Scene Latincouver.com
- “Why my Future Boyfriend Will be Grateful for Sexy Colombian Women.” Latincouver.com
- “Human Wreckage From Foreign Lands: A Study of Ethnic Victims of the Alberta Sterilization Act” Constellations Undergraduate History Journal
- “Beyond the Legend: Uncovering the Historical Circumstances Behind the Rescue of the Danish Jews” Constellations Undergraduate History Journal
- “Thin Ice” The New Quarterly, 2015
- “Russian Red” Zetetic, 2015
- “Ofelia” The Gateway Literary Contest: Second Place Winner
- The Anton Fiction Prize, University of Alberta—Awarded for the short story, “Learning to Swim Upstream.” 2011.
- The James Patrick Folinsbee Prize in Writing, University of Alberta—Awarded for the short story “Moroccan Thread.” 2010
- The Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau Prize in Canadian History Writing, University of Alberta—Awarded for the paper, “‘God Before Country’—Limited Identities in a Dutch-Canadian Context.” 2010
- Tips for solo travel from seasoned travel bloggers Flipkey, by Trip Advisor
- Girls That Go! An Interview with Ellen Keith of La Viajera: Go! Girl Guides
- Top Ten Sexiest Travel Bloggers: Glitter and Mud
- Travel Photo Roulette Round 57, 1st Runner Up: Living the Dream RTW
- World Nomads Travel Scholarship, Shortlisted. For the Article, “The Boy who Sees Beyond the Shadows.”
- The Best Female Travel Blogs for 2014, Travel Junkette