Last week, I received a nomination from fellow travel bloggers Ben and Charli at Wanderlusters. I recently came across their blog through the travel photo roulette competitions, and was amazed by the gorgeous photos they’ve been posting! So thank you both for the nomination! I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
The Liebster Blog Award functions as a sort of chain letter between up-and-coming bloggers. It serves to recognize the work of newcomers and promote connections in the blogging scene!
Instructions for the nominees:
• Link back to the blogger that nominated you
• Write 11 random facts about yourself
• Answer the 11 questions that the blogger who nominated you posted
• Nominate 11 other bloggers
• Ask them 11 questions
So.. here it goes!
Eleven Random Facts
1. I am probably the most patriotic Dutch person outside of the Netherlands.. Well at least in Canada! 🙂
2. I really like long, old movies… Some of my favourites include: Gone With the Wind, Dr. Zhivago, and It’s a Wonderful Life. My favourite genre is historical fiction: Zwartboek, Ever After, and Titanic being a few of my favourites.
3. My name, Ellen, means light
4. I have a degree in history and writing. I’m doing my Master’s in writing, but am hoping to eventually complete a doctorate in Holocaust studies.
5. I am really obsessive compulsive about some things: for example, I hate it when people leave cupboards or drawers partially open, and I hate it when the pages of a new book get dirty or bent – I try to keep all my books looking as if they’ve never been read.
6. I eat more tortilla chips and salsa than anyone else I know. My brother and I used to go through 1.5 L of salsa and a couple bags of Tostitos per week. Right now I’m on a diet, which is mainly peanut-butter based, so that’s not going too well either.
7. I really like farm animals – especially cows and ducks. When I was in Holland when I was ten, I named a group of goats and visited them every day.
8. I own over 30 dresses, but only one pair of jeans.
9. I’m left handed, and am completely useless at sports. I like to blame the latter fact on the former. 😉
10. I’ve broken my left arm twice (see #9). Both times involved running on roads in unsafe conditions (gravel and rain).
11. Salsa dancing has infiltrated all aspects of my life. I dance many times a week, and travel all over the world to salsa clubs and events!
Eleven Questions from the Wanderlusters
1. If your budget was unlimited, what would your itinerary include?
One of the best experiences I had on my South America trip was a helicopter ride over Iguazu Falls. It cost $100 USD for ten minutes, but it was a splurge that I have zero regrets about. I think having a limitless budget would allow me to say yes to all of the opportunities that I pass up in hopes of saving. Extended camel treks through the desert, scuba diving, hot air balloon rides… at some point these will all have to happen, regardless of my budget.
2. What’s the best piece of advice you could give us?
Do what YOU want, and travel the way YOU enjoy traveling. You don’t want to look back on your trip and realize that it was completely catered to your companion’s interests. Everyone travels in different ways, so consider your own travel needs. Sleep in if you want, or indulge in expensive restaurants while skimping on accommodations.
3. Where do you call home?
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Soon to be the Netherlands…
4. What (if anything) inspired your desire to travel?
When I was ten, my parents took my brother and I on a six-month camping trip across Western Europe. That led to a permanent infection with the travel bug.
5. What’s the one “unnecessary” item you always pack?
Salsa shoes! I can’t imagine a trip without at least one night of dancing!
6. Who would you most like to invite to dinner?
Living Male: Obama… or Orlando Bloom/Enrique Iglesias 😉
Living Female: Princess Maxima of the Netherlands
Historical Male: William Shakespeare or Julius Caesar
Historical Female: Anne Frank or Anne Boleyn
7. Which member of your family do you take after?
My mom’s Dutch cousin, Hannie, is the most traveled person I know. She’s been to something like 80 countries, is a fabulous photographer, and has a great sense of style… I’d like to believe that some of her traits have drifted across the Pacific to me! 😉
8. Which is your preferred method of transport? Air, land, or sea?
I used to get really sick on planes, but I love flying and am mesmerized by airports. Now that I can handle flying a bit better, it’s definitely my #1 choice!
9. What’s your worst habit?
I am extremely, extremely bad at making decisions.
10. Have you ever lost anything on your travels?
Once I lost weight, but sadly that was a one-trip experience. Normally I don’t lose much, although on my last trip I lost one of my favourite shirts, and someone stole my phone.
11. What do you aspire to achieve in your lifetime?
Publishing a best-selling, award-winning novel! (High enough aspiration?)
Now that I’ve answered these questions, here are the 11 other new bloggers that I would like to nominate:
1. Meredith of Curious Meredith
2. Nicole of Nicole Basaraba
3. Ashley of Ashley Abroad
4. Russ of The World on My Back
5. Alouise of Traveler Ahoy
6. Richie of The Dancing Irishman (Salsa/Travel)
7. Julika of Sateless Suitcase
8. Marti of Down the Wrabbit Hole
9. Alison of A Flamingo in Utrecht
And now a couple of non-travel, but still fantastic starter blogs
10. Adriana of History and Such
11. Peter of Peter Keith (Cooking tips)
Here are my 11 questions for you:
• What are the coldest and hottest climates that you’ve experienced?
• Which would you rather pack if you had to choose just one item: a bathing suit, or a dressy outfit?
• What is your favourite travel tune?
• Have you ever been to a concert or music festival abroad? What was the experience like?
• What is the first thing you like to do when you return home from a trip?
• Do you pack books or an e-reader? Or what is your technological must-have?
• What is the strangest food you’ve sampled abroad?
• What country do you think has the best alcoholic beverages or beer?
• Is there anywhere to which you never want to return?
• Where was your first flight, and how old were you?
• What is your occupation, if you’re not a full-time blogger?